Stacey DeGrasse (E-RYT-200, RYT-500) is a registered hatha yoga teacher and co-owner of Capitol Hill Yoga (CHY) located six blocks east of the Capitol near Eastern Market in the heart of Washington, DC. Stacey’s goal as a teacher and studio co-owner is to provide her students with a safe and empowering environment for their yoga practice so that each student’s experience on the mat may provide an uninhibited and deep exploration of their fullest potential. Stacey combines her yoga teacher training/experience with her scientific background and considers the yoga mat as a laboratory: a microcosm of self-study to the macrocosm that is life. She encourages her students to use the opportunity on the yoga mat as a means for cultivating awareness, qualities, and skills that will help us navigate life off the mat.
Stacey’s introduction to hatha yoga came in 1997 as she began her Ph.D. studies in Oceanography. Unbeknownst to her at the time, this introduction set her on two parallel career paths. Upon graduation, Stacey moved to Washington, DC in 2003 to begin her career as a research biologist, and it was at this time she intensified her study of yoga. Realizing the profound impact that yoga had on her busy life in DC, she selected her next educational undertaking: yoga teacher training.
Stacey graduated from the Teacher Training program at Willow Street Yoga Center in Silver Spring, MD in 2005 and began teaching immediately and has been offering these traditional yet timeless teachings of yoga on Capitol Hill ever since. Stacey considers her greatest accomplishment to be the creation of Capitol Hill Yoga – a hatha yoga studio near Eastern Market in Washington, DC – that she and her business partner, Betsy Poos, opened in 2009.
Stacey currently lives in Washington, DC with her husband Jeff and their pets – a wide range of freshwater and seawater critters. When not at the studio or in the laboratory, Stacey enjoys being on or in the water (with a special fondness for the ocean), visiting local museums and other DC gems, cooking, and traveling.
Stacey’s Yoga Teacher Training and Continuing Education
- Anusara Yoga Immersion 2004 – Kate Miller
- Yoga Teacher Training 2005 – Suzie Hurley, Jenny Otto, Moses Brown, Joe Miller
- Yoga Therapy Training 2006 – Jenny Otto
- Yoga for Two™: Yoga for Pregnancy and Childbirth 2010 — Mary Barnes
- Good to Great Teacher Development 2012 – Noah Maze and Christina Sell
- Continuing Education 2004 through 2012 – Christina Sell, Noah Maze, Amy Ippoliti, Christopher Tompkins, Hareesh Wallis, Eric Shaw, Douglas Brooks, Sianna Sherman, Todd Norian, BJ Galvan, Ross Rayburn, Sally Kempton, Elena Brower, Martin Kirk